“Every mountain top is within reach if you just keep climbing.”
— Richard James Molloy
The mission of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People is to ensure the political, educational, social, and economic equality of rights of all persons and to eliminate race-based discrimination.
The vision of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People is to ensure a society in which all individuals have equal rights without discrimination based on race.
The following statement of objectives is found on the first page of the NAACP Constitution – the principal objectives of the Association shall be:
- To ensure the political, educational, social, and economic equality of all citizens
- To achieve equality of rights and eliminate race prejudice among the citizens of the United States
- To remove all barriers of racial discrimination through democratic processes
- To seek enactment and enforcement of federal, state, and local laws securing civil rights
- To inform the public of the adverse effects of racial discrimination and to seek its elimination
- To educate persons as to their constitutional rights and to take all lawful action to secure the exercise thereof, and to take any other lawful action in furtherance of these objectives, consistent with the NAACP’s Articles of Incorporation and this Constitution.
NAACP Strategic Plan: Game Changers for the 21st Century
For more than a century the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People has worked to ensure the political, educational, social, and economic equality of rights of all persons and to eliminate race-based discrimination. Inspired by the force and commitment of The Call of 1909, which denounced the growing oppression of people of color and mobilized thousands to work to bring this discrimination to an end, the NAACP seeks to establish a strategic direction as it embarks on developing The New Call for the 21st Century.
The five NAACP Game Changers below address the major areas of inequality facing African Americans that are the focus of the NAACP’s work.
Health equality for all Americans including a healthy life
Everyone will have equal access to affordable, high-quality health care, and racially disparate health outcomes will end. We work diligently to provide equality for all.
A chance to live the American Dream for all
Every person will have equal opportunity to achieve economic success, sustainability, and financial security and a chance to live the American Dream in a modern world we live in today.
A free, high-quality, public education for all
Children will receive a free, high quality, equitably-funded, public pre-K and K-12 education followed by several diverse opportunities for vocational or university education.
Equitable dispensation of justice for all
Disproportionate incarceration, racially motivated policing strategies, and racially biased, discriminatory, and mandatory minimum sentencing will end.
Protect and enhance voting rights and fair representation
Every American will have free, open, equal, and protected access to the vote and fair representation at all levels of the political process.